Water mains repairs
If we plan to work on the mains that supply water to you, we’ll do everything we can to minimise disruption. We may have to shut off the water to your property at some point, but if we do, we will always try to:
- make you aware of our plans several weeks in advance.
- give you written notice of the times when we expect your water supply to be turned off .
- if your water is going to be off for more than four hours, we’ll give you written notice at least 48 hours in advance – but if we’re unable to give you written notice, we’ll pay you £25.
- if we can’t restore your water supply within the times we set out in our written notice, we’ll pay you £25 - plus another £10 for every additional 12-hour period we leave you without water.
- if we restore your water supply by the times we’ve told you in our written notice to you, but your water has been off for more than 12 hours, you can claim £20 plus another £10 for every additional 12 hours that we leave you without water.
Sometimes pipes can burst unexpectedly and will need emergency repairs. This happens without warning but we’ll still try to let you know what’s happened by a loudspeaker van, card through your door or news bulletins on your local radio station. We’ll also keep you up to date on the emergencies section of the website.
Where local mains have failed, we aim to restore your supply within 12 hours. If your supply doesn’t come back on within 12 hours, we’ll pay you £25 plus another £10 for every additional 12-hour period that we leave you without water.
Repairs to our major trunk mains may take longer; and if your supply doesn’t come back on within 48 hours we’ll pay you £25 plus another £10 for every additional 12-hour period that we leave you without water.
Where we’re repairing a major trunk main, we’ll make other sources of water available to you (such as water tankers in the street) within 12 hours. If we don’t, you can claim £20 in compensation.
If you are registered for our ExtraCare services and you find it difficult getting water from a tanker in the street, we can give you bottled water – though please call us to request it.
Email this page